Thursday, September 15, 2011

Semiotic Representations: Building complex literacy practices through the arts (Cowan, K., & Albers, P., 2006)

     There is no doubt in my mind that many students enjoy the arts.  Drawing and music are popular ways students choose to express themselves.  Drama is always a favorite genre in my classroom. But reading about the importance of linking these art forms to literacy in new ways made me consider the arts in a new light.  I've always tried to find ways to incorporate some type of art into many of my activities in order to motivate those students who prefer thnking and working with the arts.  I am quickly realiziing, however, just how inadequate my attempts have been.  The statement on pg. 125 that referred to teachers' attempts to include art in the curriculum as "formulaic, craft-like activities" (Eisner, p. 29)," iconic images, and symbols that accompany holidays and are created to decorate classrooms and hallways(Collins, 1995) unfortunately describes most of my attempts at integrating the arts.  Ouch!  I have come to the realization that I must do a better job of thinking purposely about what I want the art to do with the literacy.  I shouldn't do things just because they are "cutesy". The literacy and arts must work together.  I am concerned about the amount of time doing this the correct way may take, both the planning and carrying out the lesson.  Finding the time to just teach the literacy lessons isn't easy.  Adding to the lessons will stretch my already limited time even thinner.  I will make the effort, however, since I'd like to see if I could get the same positive results in my classroom that these authors saw in their class.

1 comment:

  1. I was thinking that if we could find skilllessons online that are taught through the use of music, the students would be more eager to learn them. I've been told that School House Rock has some such lessons.

    ReplyDelete