Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Great ideas from Melber and Hunter

     Unit III  in Integrating Language Arts and Social Studies (Melber & Hunter, 2010) had some really neat ideas this week!  I'm ready to try out some of the ideas I read about when school starts next year.  Strategy 12 that discusses Native American Resource Exploration would go along with the lessons I teach about Native Americans in the Fall. I need to spend some time this summer thinking of the resources I want my students to use for this activity.  I really loved the Connecting with Literature, Strategy 13, idea.  I think it is fun to teach  myths and my students typically enjoy reading them, so the creation myth analysis seems like something that I could easily fit into my classroom plans. I also liked Strategy 15 which encourages students to look at both sides of an issue.  I have my students write point of view essays and I think starting the writing off by teaching the way it shows in "Do a Debate" (p. 104) would make the writing more powerful.

1 comment:

  1. What grade do you teach, it sounds fun. I remember learning about Native Americans and Myths but not like that. Do you take your students to the Pow Wow they have off the highway?

    ReplyDelete