Saturday, June 4, 2011

End-of-the-Year Reflections

     Every year, at his point in the school calendar, I find myself in a very peculiar mood.  Yes, I'm excited that the summer break is right around the corner, and yes, I am sorry to see some of the children I've spent weeks working with and watching grow move on to other teachers.  But I find myself in some sort of limbo between the excitement and sadness of the end-of-year festivities. There are no new units planned for which I need to gather materials, the walls are bare since everything had to come down for the EOG tests, and the many programs and parties planned for this time each year keep me from following a regular school schedule most days.  Instead of focusing on the present time, I frequently find myself reflecting on the past or looking forward to the next school year.  As a beginning teacher, I felt guilty about this because I assumed this must mean I was already writing off the children I taught this school year.  I can see now, however, that this "season" in each school year has some value.  Looking back at what worked and what did not work (especially when I still have students who can agree that yes, this activity was great and no, that project was horrible) allows me to plan ahead for the following year.  If I know a lesson needs work, I have time to do something about it in the summer - even if doing something is just thinking about what needs to be changed. I also like looking ahead to next year's possibilities.  How will I set up my classroom?  Which books will I use as read-alouds?  How will I set up the parent newsletter?  Getting these answers settled in my mind before I go on summer vacation makes my break much more peaceful and relaxed.  I don't feel as if I have something that must be done hanging over my head when I'm supposed to be resting and relaxing. So this year, instead of stressing because I feel like I'm in not focused on the current students in my class as much as I should be these last few days, I plan to embrace my reflective mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment