Saturday, May 21, 2011

Week 1: Reading as Thinking (Ch. 2)

     When I read the secton in the textbook on reading as thinking (Chapter 2), I felt so relieved to discover that I was doing the right thing in my language arts classroom.  I had recently been criticized for my read-aloud time.  I was told that, with testing time right around the corner, there was no time for "Barney" activities like reading aloud to students.  This was a slap since I, and my fifth graders, really enjoy our read-aloud time.  I hadn't thought of what I was doing as reading as thinking, but after reading the textbook, I discovered that is what I was doing.
     I believe reading as thinking is a valuable strategy that I can use in my classroom to help show my students how to read. When I read aloud to my students, I frequently stop so we can discuss what I am reading.  Many times this is just a "connections" moment where I tell my students things of which the book reminds me, and where the students share ways they can connect to the text as well.  I suppose this may not look as serious as some lessons, but I think it is important for students to make these connections.  I also use the time to review previous lessons (recent lessons on figurative language have allowed me to question students on the type of figurative language we see in our read-alouds).  I've asked questions about the plot, made comments about characters, predicted what will happen next...we can do lots of things during our read aloud. 
     Having a label such as reading as thinking will make it so much easier to defend this practice the next time I am accused of having Barney time in my classroom.  This is an important part of my instruction and I believe it provides my students with a model they can use as they read on their own.  My next step is to use some of the reading as thinking ideas from the text during students' read alone time so I can see if they are using the strategies they see me model on their own.

6 comments:

  1. I agree that reading aloud with students, no matter the age, is important. I have also realized that when behavior in my class begins to get a little crazy, I can calm my students by reading aloud and using the reading as thinking strategies. The best part is we (the students and I) are still practicing are reading skills just in a different manner. I am like you, I am thankful for their to be a name for the strategy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barney activities! Unbelievable! You are doing a great service to your students by reading aloud and modeling your thoughts and connections as you go. I know they enjoy listening to see how the stories unfold. Keep doing what you're doing, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marie, I cannot believe that someone said you were doing Barney activities! I teach 5th grade as well and I love to read aloud to my students. It is very beneicial for students to hear people read to them, especially the way you are doing it. They need to see the process a good reader goes through when they read. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marie, I have also found out that older children still love for you to read aloud to them. This is really my first year teaching reading and I have third graders. I could not believe how much the children still loved you to read to them and how the did not know how to stop and think about their reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a ec teacher I think children need to hear how reading is supposed to be done. They need to hear reading fluency and try to model behind. That is correct children love to hear you read if nothing but to calm the pace for the day down and for children to relax. It doesn't matter what subject I am teaching read aloud and some form of reading is incorporated. Keep up the good work and do what works for you and the students you are teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's amazing how much opinions can differ. My superintendent models read alouds, as well as other reading strategies for us (the teachers). We have to include the strategies in our daily lessons (no matter what subject) for at least 10 minutes. I believe we must show our students how to do and what to do. If we don't, who will?

    ReplyDelete